Paul Muntner Ph.D.
(205) 975-8077 Office
(205) 934-8665 FaxResearch ProfileCurriculum Vitae2011 Publications2010 Publications2009 Publications
INSTITUTION AND LOCATION
FIELD OF STUDY
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
A. Positions and Employment
1997-2000 Pre-doctoral Fellow and Research Assistant, Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD
2000-2005 Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA
2001-2005 Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
2005-2007 Associate Professor of Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA
2005-2007 Adjunct Associate Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
2007-2009 Associate Professor of Medicine, Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
2009- Professor of Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
2009- Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
2007 - Associate Editor – American Journal of Kidney Diseases
2005 Sandra Dougherty American Heart Association Award - Finalist
2002 Invited Faculty – National Kidney Foundation Clinical Meeting – Presented “Which Lipid Parameters affect the Progression of Kidney and Cardiovascular Disease”
1999 Jean Coombs Award - Honored the presentation of “Plasma Lipids and the Initiation of Renal Dysfunction” presented at the annual Society of Epidemiologic Research meeting.
1997-2000 NIH-NHLBI Pre-Doctoral Training Grant in Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology
B. Selected peer-reviewed publications (out of 111)
- Astor BC, Muntner P, Levin A, Eustace JA, Coresh J. Association of Kidney Function with Anemia: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1988-1994) Archives of Internal Medicine 2002 Jun 24;162(12):1401-8
- Young JH, Klag MJ, Muntner, P, Whyte JL, Pahor M, Coresh J Blood Pressure and Decline in Renal Function. Findings from the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program (SHEP) Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2002 Nov;13(11):2776-82
- Gu D, Reynolds K, Wu X, Chen J, Duan X, Muntner P, Huang G, Reynolds RF, Su S, Whelton PK, He J; InterASIA Collaborative Group. The International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in ASIA. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in china. Hypertension. 2002 Dec;40(6):920-7.
- Muntner P, Whelton PK, Kusek J, Hamm LL, He J. Non-traditional cardiovascular disease risk factors in chronic kidney disease. Annals of Internal Medicine 2004 Jan 6; 140: 9-17.
- He J, Streiffer R, Muntner P, Wood MA, Whelton PK. Effect of dietary fiber intake on blood pressure: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Journal of Hypertension: Jan 2004: 22(1): 73-80.
- Chen J, Muntner P, Hamm LL, Jones DW, Batuman V, Fonseca V, Whelton PK, He J. The metabolic syndrome and chronic kidney disease in U.S. adults. Annals of Internal Medicine 2004 Feb 3;140(3):167-74.
- Muntner P, Gu D, Wu X, Duan X, Wenqi G, Whelton PK, He J. Factors Associated With Hypertension Awareness, Treatment, and Control in a Representative Sample of the Chinese Population. Hypertension. 2004 Mar;43(3):578-85
- Muntner P, He J, Cutler JA, Wildman RP, Whelton PK. Trends in blood pressure among children and adolescents. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2004 May 5;291(17):2107-13.
- Muntner P, He J, Chen J, Whelton PK. Increased Prevalence of Traditional and Non-traditional Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors Among Persons with Impaired Fasting Glucose, Diabetes, and the Metabolic Syndrome: Analysis of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Annals of Epidemiology 2004 October 1: 14: 686-695.
- Muntner P, He J, Astor BC, Folsom AR, Coresh J. Traditional and Non-traditional Risk Factors Predict Coronary Heart Disease in Chronic Kidney Disease: Results from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2005 February 1: 16: 1-10.
- Kearney PM, Whelton M, Reynolds K, Muntner P, Whelton PK, He J. Global Burden of Hypertension. The Lancet 2005 Jan;365(9455):217-23.
- Gu D, Gupta A, Muntner P, Duan X, Chen J, Reynolds RF, Whelton PK, He J. Prevalence of Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor Clustering among the Adult Population of China: Results from the International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in ASIA (InterASIA). Circulation 2005 Aug;112:658-65.
- Muntner P, Wildman RP, Reynolds K, DeSalvo KB, Chen J, Fonseca V. Glycosylated Hemoglobin Level and Peripheral Arterial Disease in Non-diabetic and Diabetic Adults. Diabetes Care 2005 Aug; 28. 1981-7.
- Muntner P, Gu D, Wildman WP, Wu X, Duan X, Whelton PK, He J for the InterASIA Collaborative Group. Prevalence of Physical Activity among Chinese Adults: Results from the International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in ASIA (InterASIA). American Journal of Public Health 2005 Sep;95:1631-6.
- Muntner P, Menke A, DeSalvo KB, Rabito FA, Batuman V. Continued Decline in Blood Lead Levels among Adults in the United States: The National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Archives of Internal Medicine 2005 Oct; 165:2155-61.
- Muntner P, Gu D, Reynolds RF, Whelton PK, He J. Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes and Drug Treatment for High Blood Cholesterol in China: Application of the Adult Treatment Panel III Guidelines. Am J of Card; 2005 Nov 96: 1260-1265
- Muntner P, DeSalvo KB, Wildman RP, Raggi P, He J, Whelton PK. Trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of cardiovascular disease risk factors among patients with a history of myocardial infarction and stroke. American Journal of Epidemiology 2006 May 15;163(10):913-20.
- Menke A, Muntner P, Silbergeld EK, Batuman V, Guallar E. Blood lead less than 10 ug/dL and cardiovascular disease mortality. Circulation 2006 Sep 26;114(13):1388-94.
- Menke A, Muntner P, Wildman RP, Dreisbach A, Raggi P. Borderline Peripheral Arterial Disease Is Associated With Increased Cardiovascular Disease Risk. American Journal of Cardiology 2006 Nov 1;98(9):1226-30.
- Wattanakit K, Coresh J, Muntner P, Marsh J, Folsom AR. Cardiovascular event rates in adults with chronic kidney disease, with or without a history of myocardial infarction. Journal of American College of Cardiology 2006 Sep 19;48(6):1183-9.
- Bellasi A, Ferramosca E, Muntner P, Ratti C, Block GA, Raggi P. Correlation of Simple Imaging Tools and Computed Tomography to Detect Cardiovascular Calcification in Hemodialysis Patients. Kidney International 2006 Nov;70(9):1623-8.
- Hyre A, Fox CS, Astor BC, Cohen A, Muntner P. The Impact of Reclassification of Chronic Kidney Disease as a Coronary Heart Disease Risk Equivalent on the Number of US Adults Recommended Lipid-Lowering Treatment. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2007 Jan; 49(1):37-45.
- Muntner P, Ferramosca E, Bellasi A, Block GA, Raggi P. Development of a Cardiovascular Calcification Index using Simple Imaging Tools in Hemodialysis Patients. Nephrology Dialysis and Transplantation 2007 Feb; 22(2):508-14.
- Hyre A, Krousel-Wood MA, Muntner P, Kawasaki L, DeSalvo KB. Prevalence and predictors of poor anti-hypertensive medication adherence in an urban health clinic setting. Journal of Clinical Hypertension 2007 Mar;9(3):179-86.
- Kawasaki L, Muntner P, Hyre A, Hampton K, DeSalvo K. Willingness to attend group visits for hypertension treatment. Annals of Family Medicine 2007 May;13(5):257-62.
- Reynolds K, Gu D, Muntner P, Kusek JW, Chen J, Wu X, Duan X, Chen CS, Klag MJ, Whelton PK, He J. A Population-Based Prospective Study of Blood Pressure and Risk of End-Stage Renal Disease in China. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2007 Jun;18(6):1928-35.
- Raggi P, Bellasi A, Ferramosca E, Block GA, Muntner P. Pulse wave velocity is inversely related to vertebral bone density in hemodialysis patients. Hypertension 2007 Jun;49(6):1278-84.
- Muntner P, Menke A, Batuman V, Rabito F, He J, Todd A. Association of tibia lead and blood lead with end-stage renal disease among African-Americans. Environmental Research 2007 Jul;104(3):396-401.
- Kopp JB, Ball LK, Cohen AJ, Kenney RJ, Lempert KD, Miller PE, Muntner P, Qureshi N, Yelon SA. Kidney Patient Care in Disasters: Lessons from the Hurricanes and Earthquake of 2005. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2007 May: 814-824.
- Kopp JB, Ball LK, Cohen AJ, Kenney RJ, Lempert KD, Miller PE, Muntner P, Qureshi N, Yelon SA. Kidney Patient Care in Disasters: Emergency Planning for Patients and Dialysis Facilities. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2007 May: 825-838.
- Hyre AD, Cohen AJ, Kutner N, Alper AB, Muntner P. Prevalence and Predictors of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Among Hemodialysis Patients Following Hurricane Katrina. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 2007 Oct;50(4):585-93.
- Reynolds K, Gu D, Muntner P, Chen J, Wu X, Yau CL, Duan X, Chen CS, Hamm LL, He J. Body Mass Index and Risk of End-Stage Renal Disease in China. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 2007 Nov;50(5):754-64.
- Mondolfi R, Jones TM, Hyre AD, Raggi P, Muntner P. Comparison of Percent of US Adults Weighing ≥ 300 Pounds (136 Kilograms) in 3 Time Periods and Comparison of 5 Atherosclerotic Risk Factors for Those Weighing ≥ 300 Pounds to Those < 300 Pounds. American Journal of Cardiology 2007 Dec 1;100(11):1651-3.
- Muntner P, Winston J, Uribarri J, Mann D, Fox CS. Overweight and obesity and pre-clinical kidney disease in US adults. American Journal of Medicine 2008;121:341-8.
- Muntner P, Srinivasan S, Menke A, Patel DA, Chen W, Berenson GS. Impact of childhood metabolic syndrome components on the risk of elevated uric acid in adulthood: The Bogalusa Heart Study. American Journal of Medical Sciences Am J Med Sci. 2008 May; 335(5):332-7.
- Melamed M, Muntner P, Michos E, Uribarri J, Webber C, Sharma J, Raggi P. Serum 25(OH) Vitamin D Levels and the Prevalence of peripheral arterial disease: Results from NHANES 2001-2004. Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 2008 Jun;28(6):1179-85.
- Kini AS, Muntner P, Moreno PR, Mann D, Krishnan P, Kim MC, Rafael OC, Farkouh ME, Sharma SK. Relation of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol to mortality after percutaneous coronary interventions in patients with low-density lipoprotein <70 mg/dl. American Journal of Cardiology. 2009 Feb 1;103(3):350-4.
- Krousel-Wood M, Islam T, Webber LS, Re RN, Morisky DE, Muntner P. New medication adherence scale versus pharmacy fill rates in seniors with hypertension. American Journal of Managed Care. 2009 Jan;15(1):59-66.
C. Research Support
Ongoing Research Support
R01 AG25536 Wood (PI) 09/01/2005 – 08/31/2010
Cohort Study of Medication Adherence among Older Adults
This sub-contract supports the data coordinating center for a cohort study of anti-hypertensive medication adherence (n=2,000).
D. Completed Research Support (past 3 years)
K01 DK64860 Muntner (PI) 09/30/2004 – 09/29/2007
Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and Glycemic Control
The major goal of this study is to examine factors associated with blood pressure, cholesterol and glycemic control among patients with chronic kidney disease.
NIH/NHLBI Muntner (PI) 05/01/2004 - 12/31/2007
The Impact of ALLHAT on Anti-Hypertensive Prescription Patterns
The goal of this project is to determine the impact of the publication and dissemination of The Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial on first-line anti-hypertensive prescription patterns in a large health maintenance organization.
Role: Principal Investigator
Subcontract Muntner (PI) 05/01/2006 – 10/31/2006
This sub-contract supports the collection of interview data for hemodialysis patients living in the region impacted by Hurricane Katrina.
U01 DK60963 He (PI) 10/01/2001–09/30/2007
Clinical Center for Prospective Cohort Study of CRI
The major goals of this project are to study risk factors for renal disease and cardiovascular disease in patients with chronic renal insufficiency.
1 P20 HS11834-01 Cerise (PI) 09/01/2001 - 9/01/2005
Building Research Infrastructure and Capacity Grant
The goal of this project is to develop a research program with the purpose of increasing applied health services research in Louisiana. The specific project is a randomized trial to compare group medical appointments with standard care for the treatment of hypertension in a vulnerable population.
U01 HL072607 He (PI) 09/31/2002–09/31/2006
Genetic Epidemiology of Blood Pressure Intervention
The overall objective of the proposed study is to identify susceptibility genes that influence individual blood pressure responses to environmental risk factors for hypertension in human populations.
AHA 0235134N Muntner (PI) 07/01/2002 – 06/30/2005
American Heart Association
Clinical Trial of Physical Activity among African-American Women
The major goal of this randomized controlled trial is to assess the effect of physical activity on blood pressure among 130 African-American women.
P20 RR017659 Navar (PI) 09/18/2002–08/31/2007
Tulane COBRE in Hypertension and Renal Biology
This grant supports basic, clinical, and population-based researches in hypertension and renal disease.