Dr. Jolly received a Ph.D. in science education from Louisiana State University (1980) and a M.P.H. (1984) and Ph.D. (1989) in Immunology and Infectious Diseases from Johns Hopkins University. She joined the faculty at the UAB School of Public Health in 1991. She is the Director of the UAB Minority Health International Research Training (MHIRT) Program and was the Director of the Doctor of Public Health Program in International Health and Director of the Peace Corps Master's International Program for the School from 2007-2010.
Dr. Jolly’s laboratory research is focused on the mechanisms of pathogenesis of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and other lentiviruses, specifically in the area of immune responses to infection. Since 2002, her laboratory research has been focused on suppression of the immune system by aflatoxin and its effects on HIV disease progression. In guiding her doctoral students, Dr. Jolly has also been involved in research on antenatal care, malaria and geohelminth infections in pregnancy and adverse birth outcomes in Ghana. She has maintained strong and productive research collaborations with investigators in Ghana, Jamaica, Guatemala, Kenya, Tanzania and Swaziland over the years and has trained MHIRT students in conducting epidemiological and behavioral research on HIV/AIDS/STI and other infectious diseases in Jamaica, Ghana, Kenya,Tanzania and Swaziland and on cervical cancer epidemiology and prevention in Jamaica, Ghana, Tanzania and Swaziland. Her research in Guatemala has been in the area of maternal and child nutrition among Mayan populations. Dr. Jolly publishes extensively in all of her research areas and her students are co-authors (often first authors) on a high proportion of her publications.
Recent sample publications:
1. Walcott, M., Funkhouser, E., Aung, M., Kempf, M.C., Ehiri, J., Zhang, K., Bakhoya, M., Hickman, D., Jolly, P.E., Gender norms and sexual behaviors among men in Western Jamaica. Sexual Health, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/SH13099.
2. Ntui, A. N. , Jolly, P. E., Carson ,A. P., Turpin, C. A., Zhang, K., Wilson N. O., Stiles, J. K. and Tameru, B. Effect of malaria and geohelminth infection on birth outcomes in Kumasi, Ghana. International Journal of TROPICAL DISEASE & HEALTH, 4(5):582-594, 2014.
3. Jolly, P. E. Aflatoxin: does it contribute to increase in HIV viral load? Future Microbiology, 9(2), 121–124, 2014).
4. Mbowe, O., Wallace, J., Diaz, A., Mazariegos, M., and Jolly, P.E. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and associated cardiovascular risk factors in Guatemalan school children. Maternal and Child Health Journal, DOI: 10.1007/s10995-013-1402-y.
5. Jolly, P.E., Inusah, S., Lu, B., Ellis, WO., Nyarko, A., Phillips, TD., Williams, JH. Association between high aflatoxin B1 levels and high viral load in HIV positive people. World Mycotoxin Journal 6:255-261, 2013.
6. McCree, R., Rutley, K., Aung, M., Hale, T., and Jolly, P.E. Evaluating a theory-based health education intervention to improve awareness of prostate cancer among men in western Jamaica. West Indian Medical Journal, 2012; 61(6) Epub ahead of print. Available online at: http://ojs.mona.uwi.edu/index.php/wimj/issue/view/316.
7. Mdodo, R., Brown, K., Jaoko, W., Omonge, Jaoko, W., Baddley, J., Pappas, P., Kempf, M-C., Aban, C., Odera, S., Suleh, A., and Jolly, P.E. The prevalence, clinical features, risk factors and outcome associated with cryptococcal meningitis in HIV positive patients in Kenya: a prospective observational study. East African Medical Journal, 87 (12):481-487, 2012.
8. Frojo, G., Rogers, N., Mazariegos, M., Keenan, J., Walcott, M., and Jolly, P.E. Relationship between maternal and infant nutritional status among Mayans in Guatemala. Maternal and Child Nutrition, 2012; DOI: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2012.00404.x
9. Jolly, P.E., Shuaib, F., Jiang, Y., Preko, P.O., Baidoo, J., Stiles, J.K., Wang, J-S., Phillips, T.D, and Williams, J.H. Association of viral load and liver function with high aflatoxin levels in HIV positive Ghanaians. Food Additives and Contaminants Part A. 2011 Sep; 28(9):1224-34. Epub 2011 July 12
10. Ncube, N.M., Akunna, J., Babatunde, F., Nyarko, A., Yatich, N.J., Ellis, W., Turpin, A., and Jolly, P.E. Sexual risk behavior among HIV-positive persons in Kumasi, Ghana. Ghana Medical Journal, 2012, 46:27-33.
11. Shuaib, F.M.B., Jolly, P.E., Ehiri, J.E., Jiang, Y., Ellis, W.O., Stiles, J.K., Yatich, N.J., Funkhouser, E., Person, S.D., Wilson, C., and Williams, J.H. Association between anemia and aflatoxin B1 biomarker levels among pregnant women in Kumasi, Ghana. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 83:1077-1083, 2010. doi:10.4269/ajtmh.2010.09-0772.