LOOKING FOR AN INTERN?
What is the MPH internship?
The internship is a 3-credit hour course requirement of all MPH-seeking students. According to the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), all graduate professional public health degree students must demonstrate the application of public health concepts through a practice experience that is relevant to the student’s area of specialization. This experience is planned, supervised, and evaluated throughout the semester of the internship.
What are the requirements of the MPH internship?
In order to register for the internship course, students must have completed all public health core coursework. Usually, this means that students must wait until their 3rd semester to complete the internship. Students must complete a minimum of 180 contact hours with the organization during the semester in which they register for the internship. Students cannot start the internship prior to the first day of class, and must have all hours in by the last day of class for that semester. Learning objectives for the internship must be set based on the MPH School-wide and departmental competencies. The following documents are required as part of the planning and evaluation of the internship:
- Internship Description and Agreement (Filled out by the student; signed by the student, faculty advisor, & preceptor)
- Student Midpoint Meeting Form (and confirmation of meeting from faculty advisor & preceptor)
- Final Student Evaluation of the Internship Experience
- Student's Final Paper
- Student's Final Internship Poster and attendance at internship poster session
- Preceptor Midpoint and Final Evaluations of the student intern
My organization is interested in having a MPH intern. What do I need to do?
Thank you for thinking of our MPH students! Please complete the Intern Request Form. After submitting the form, the Office of Public Health Practice will contact you to follow up on the opportunity.
URL for the Intern Request Form: https://www.soph.uab.edu/interntrackv2/internrequestform