To Qualify for Research Training Opportunities, you must be:
- A US citizen or permanent resident
- Must be from a health disparity population as determined by the NIMHD. Health disparity populations are defined as African Americans, Hispanic Americans or Latinos, American Indians and Alaskan Natives, Native Hawaiians, other Pacific Islanders, and low socio-economic groups). Click the following link for economic info: http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/index.shtml
- An undergraduate student from any accredited US college or university enrolled throughout the duration of the academic year.
- A graduate or health profession student at UAB enrolled throughout the duration of the academic year.
- GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Interested in pursuing a research career in a biomedical discipline, academic medicine, or public health
- Able to provide official academic transcripts and two letters of reference
- Fair level of proficiency (able to sustain basic conversation) in Spanish if interested in the Peru or Guatemala training sites.
- Able to spend 12 weeks overseas (mid-May through August).
Instructions For Completing Application:
- Fill out the online application for admission form providing complete and accurate information.
- Upload unofficial transcripts from every college and/or university you have ever attended (whether or not a degree was awarded). The transcripts you attach should come from the same institutions listed under section VI of the Application Form. If selected to the MHIRT Program, your institution must send the official transcript(s) to us; have it sent to the attention of the UAB MHIRT Program, at the address found below.
- Send via mail to the address below; Letters of reference from two persons (professor, research advisor or school mentor) who can judge your qualifications and characteristics for overseas research and training. The letter should contain as much of the following information as possible:
- How long has the person known you, and in what capacity?
- Comments on: mastery of your chosen course of study; motivation and initiative; communication skills; intellectual capacity; and work habits.
- Comments on your ability to interact effectively with others, particularly in cross-cultural settings.
- Each applicant to the MHIRT program is required to submit a statement of interest. Please relate your interest in public health/biomedical research to your formal education, past and current employment, research interests and career aspirations. Your statement should be as specific as possible, but it must be no longer than one single-side page (single-spaced).
- Required Documentation: Please have ALL documents ready to upload when you submit the application. No draft will be saved.
- Completed online application
- Send via mail: two letters of reference (you may upload if letters are given to you).
- Upload unofficial transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended (If official transcripts are available when applying, please send via mail, to the address below)
- Upload brief two-page resume
- Upload Statement of Interest
Online Application Available November 23, 2016
Send Official Transcripts and Recommendation Letters to:
Anna D. Junkins, MSPH
UAB School of Public Health
Department of Epidemiology, RPHB 217
1665 University Blvd.
Birmingham AL 35294-0022
Applications Due: January 20, 2017.