||Department of Biostatistics
Ryals Public Health Bldg, 443D
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294
Phone: (205) 975-9122
Fax: (205) 975-2540
Current Location - Unknown
Robert received his bachelors in behavioral neuroscience from Emory University in 2001. He then completed his Masters in 2004 at Marshall University while working under Thomas Pauley focusing on sexual dimorphism in hellbenders. He successfully defended his Ph.D dissertation in August, 2009 under the guidance of Paul Chippindale. His dissertation research focused on phylogenetic performance using sequence data and the evolutionary history of the plain-bellied watersnake.
Currently, he is interested in exploring the application of non-frequentist methods in biostatistics as well as the evolution of diseases.
- Fontenot BE, Makowsky R, Chippindale PT (2011) Nuclear-mitochondrial discordance and gene flow in a recent radiation of toads. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 59:68-80. [PMID: 21255664]
- Makowsky R, Pajewski NM, Klimentidis YC, Vazquez AI, Duarte CW, Allison DB, de los Campos G. (2011) Beyond missing heritability: Prediction of complex traits. PLoS Genetics. 7(4): e1002051 [PMID:21552331]
- Ingram KH, Lara-Castro C, Munoz AJ, Makowsky R, Lawrence JC, Newcomer BR, Lopez-Ben R, Rigsby D, Gower BA, Garvey WT. (In press) Intramyocellular Lipid and Insulin Resistance: Differential Relationships in European and African Americans. Obesity. [PMID: 21436797]
- Makowsky R, Wilson LA, Pauley TK (2010) Sexual dimorphism in the eastern hellbender. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 5(1):44-48.
- Makowsky, R, Marshall JC, McVay J, Chippindale PT, Rissler, LJ (2010) Phylogeographic analysis of the plain- bellied watersnake (Nerodia erythrogaster) reveals low genetic and ecological differentiation and no support for subspecies. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 55(3):985-995. [PMID: 20302955]
- Schargel WE, Rivas G, Makowsky R, Señaris JC, Natera MA, Barros TR, Molina CR, Barrio-Amorós CL (2010) Phylogenetic systematics of the genus Gonatodes (Squamata: Sphaerodactylidae) in the Guayana region, with description of a new species from Venezuela. Systematics and Biodiversity. 8(3):321-339. [DOI: 10.1080/14772000.2010.504757]
- Reynolds MR, Weiler AM, Piaskowski SM, Kolar HL, Weiker M, Weisgrau KL, Makowsky R, McDermott AB, Boyle R, Allison DB, Wilson NA, Koff WC, Watkins DI (2010) Macaques Vaccinated with Simian Immunodeficiency Virus SIVmac239Δnef Delay Acquisition and Control Replication after Repeated Low-Dose Heterologous SIV Challenge. Journal of Virology. 84(18): 9190-9199. [DOI:10.1128/JVI.00041-10]
- Makowsky R, Cox CL, Roelke CE (2010) Analyzing the relationship between sequence divergence and nodal support using Bayesian phylogenetic analyses. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 58:485-494. [PMID: 20472081] [DOI: 10.1016/j.ympev.2010.05.009]
- Makowsky R, Chesser J, Rissler LJ (2009) A striking lack of genetic diversity across the wide-ranging amphibian Gastrophryne carolinensis (Anura: Microhylidae). Genetica 135:169-183. [PMID: 18392940] [DOI: 10.1007/s10709-008-9267-5]
Acknowledgement and Disclaimer
The trainee's projects are supported by Grant Number T32HL072757 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute or the National Institutes of Health.
Years: 2009 - 2011
Mentor(s): T. Mark Beasley, Ph.D.
Current Position: Biostatistician, Medical Products Division, W.L. Gore & Associates, Phoenix, AZ