Department of Biostatistics
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294
Phone: (205) 975-9171
Fax: (205) 975-2540
Tapan received his M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) with a specialization in software engineering in 2004. Before joining the computing team at the Section on Statistical Genetics (SSG) at UAB, he worked as a graduate research assistant at SSG and pursued his Masters thesis in the area of stability of clustering algorithms. He was also involved in several genomic data analyses, publications, and leveraging high performance computing solutions. As a statistician his responsibilities include leading and participating in several data analyses and methodology development projects, provide sound high performance computing and software engineering support to these projects. Scientific scope of these projects range from obesity-related epidemiological projects to genomic and genetic data analyses projects related to obesity and cancer.
Currently, he is also pursuing his doctoral degree in Biostatistics at UAB under the mentorship of Dr. David B. Allison. Tapan's interests lie in aggregating and integrating silos of genomic and epidemiological data, to investigate interesting scientific questions, through novel applications of statistical methods and computing platforms. He is especially interested in the use of longitudinal and meta-analytic frameworks, risk prediction and bayesian hierarchical modeling.
- Mehta, T., Fontaine, K. R., Keith, S. W., Bangalore, S. S., de los Campos, G., Bartolucci, A., Pajewski, N. M. and Allison, D. B. (2014), Obesity and mortality: are the risks declining? Evidence from multiple prospective studies in the United States. Obesity Reviews. [doi: 10.1111/obr.12191]
- Krista Casazza, Andrew Brown, Arne Astrup, Fredrik Bertz, Charles Baum, Michelle Bohan Brown, John Dawson, Nefertiti Durant, Gareth Dutton, David A. Fields, Kevin R. Fontaine, David Levitsky, Tapan Mehta, Nir Menachemi, Pk Newby, Russell Pate, Hollie Raynor, Barbara J. Rolls, Bisakha Sen, Daniel L. Smith, Diana Thomas, Brian Wansink, David B. Allison, A. Bray George, Weighing the Evidence of Common Beliefs in Obesity Research. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. [doi: 10.1080/10408398.2014.922044]
- Mehta Tapan, Allison DB (2014). From measurement to analysis reporting: grand challenges in nutritional methodology. Frontiers in Nutrition. Vol 1:6. [doi: 10.3389/fnut.2014.00006]
- Mehta T, Fontaine KR, Keith SW, Bangalore SS, PhD, de los Campos G, Bartolucci A, Pajewski NM, Allison, DB. Obesity and Mortality: Are the Risks Declining? Evidence from Eighteen Prospective Studies in the U.S. (Revise and resubmit).
- Mehta T, McCubrey R, Pajewski NM, Keith SW, Crespo CJ, Allison DB, Fontaine KR. Does Obesity Associate with Mortality among Hispanic Persons?: Results from the National Health Interview Survey. (Accepted in Obesity).
- Casazza K, Fontaine KR, Astrup A, Birch LL, Brown AW, Bohan Brown MM, Durant N, Dutton G, Foster EM, Heymsfield SB, McIver K, Mehta T, Menachemi N, Newby PK, Pate R, Rolls BJ, Sen B, Smith DL Jr, Thomas DM, Allison DB. Myths, presumptions, and facts about obesity. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jan 31;368(5):446-54. [doi: 10.1056/NEJMsa1208051]
- Duarte CW, Willey CD, Zhi D, Cui X, Harris JJ, Vaughan LK, Mehta T, McCubrey RO, Khodarev NN, Weichselbaum RR, Gillespie GY. Expression Signature of IFN/STAT1 Signaling Genes Predicts Poor Survival Outcome in Glioblastoma Multiforme in a Subtype-Specific Manner. PLoS One. 2012;7(1):e29653. Epub 2012 Jan 5. [PMID: 22242177] [PMCID: PMC3252343]
- Jarboe JS, Anderson JC, Duarte CW, Mehta T, Nowsheen S, Hicks PH, Whitley AC, Rohrbach TD, McCubrey RO, Chiu S, Burleson TM, Bonner JA, Gillespie GY, Yang ES, Willey CD. MARCKS regulates growth and radiation sensitivity and is a novel prognostic factor for glioma. Clin Cancer Res. 2012 Jun 1;18(11):3030-41. [doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-11-3091] Epub 2012 May 22.
- Keith SW, Fontaine KR, Pajewski NM, Mehta T, Allison DB. Use of self-reported height and weight biases the body mass index-mortality association. International Journal of Obesity, 2011. Mar;35(3):401-408. [PMID: 20680015]
- Miller SJ, Jessen WJ, Mehta T, Hardiman A, Sites E, Kaiser S, Jegga AG, Li H, Upadhyaya M, Giovannini M, Muir D, Wallace MR, Lopez E, Serra E, Nielsen GP, Lazaro C, Stemmer-Rachamimov A, Page G, Aronow BJ, Ratner N. Integrative genomic analyses of neurofibromatosis tumours identify SOX9 as a biomarker and survival gene. EMBO Mol Med. 2009 Jul;1(4):236-48. [PMID: 20049725]
- Feugang JM, Kaya A, Page GP, Chen L, Mehta T, Hirani K, Nazareth L, Topper E, Gibbs R, Memili E. Two-stage genome-wide association study identifies integrin beta 5 as having potential role in bull fertility. BMC Genomics. 2009 Apr 24;10:176. [PMID: 19393042] [PMCID: PMC2684547]
- Guimbellot JS, Erickson SW, Mehta T, Wen H, Page GP, Sorscher EJ, Hong JS. Correlation of microRNA levels during hypoxia with predicted target mRNAs through genome-wide microarray analysis. BMC Med Genomics. 2009 Mar 25;2:15.[PMID:19320992] [ PMCID: PMC2667434]
- Chen L, Page GP, Mehta T, Feng R, Cui X. Single nucleotide polymorphisms affect both cis- and trans-eQTLs. Genomics. 2009 Feb 25. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 19248827]
- Ioannidis JP, Allison DB, Ball CA, Coulibaly I, Cui X, Culhane AC, Falchi M, Furlanello C, Game L, Jurman G, Mangion J, Mehta T, Nitzberg M, Page GP, Petretto E, van Noort V. Repeatability of published microarray gene expression analyses. Nat Genet. 2009 Feb;41(2):149-55. Epub 2008 Jan 28. [PMID: 19174838]
- Srinivasasainagendra V, Page GP, Mehta T, Coulibaly I, Loraine AE. CressExpress: a tool for large-scale mining of expression data from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2008 Jul;147(3):1004-16. Epub 2008 May 8. [PMID: 18467456]
- Page GP, Zakharkin SO, Kim K, Mehta T, Chen L, Zhang K. Microarray analysis. Methods Mol Biol. 2007;404:409-30. Review. [PMID: 18450061]
- Falk CT, Finch SJ, Kim W, Mukhopadhyay ND, Gong B, Hinrichs A, Li X, Liu X, Malhotra A, Mehta T, Page G, Rao S, Saccone N, Shete S, Yang Y, Yu R, Zhao JH, Zhou X. Data mining of RNA expression and DNA genotype data: presentation group 5 contributions to Genetic Analysis Workshop 15. Genet Epidemiol. 2007;31 Suppl 1:S43-50. [PMID: 18046764]
- Yi N, Shriner D, Banerjee S, Mehta T, Pomp D, Yandell BS. An efficient Bayesian model selection approach for interacting quantitative trait loci models with many effects. Genetics. 2007 Jul;176(3):1865-77. Epub 2007 May 4. [PMID: 17483424]
- Yandell BS, Mehta T, Banerjee S, Shriner D, Venkataraman R, Moon JY, Neely WW, Wu H, von Smith R, Yi N. R/qtlbim: QTL with Bayesian Interval Mapping in experimental crosses. Bioinformatics. 2007 Mar 1;23(5):641-3. Epub 2007 Jan 19. [PMID: 17237038]
- Mehta TS, Zakharkin SO, Gadbury GL, Allison DB. Epistemological issues in omics and high-dimensional biology: give the people what they want. Physiol Genomics. 2006 Dec 13;28(1):24-32. Epub 2006 Sep 12. [PMID: 16968808]
- 9: Wei H, Persson S, Mehta T, Srinivasasainagendra V, Chen L, Page GP, Somerville C, Loraine A. Transcriptional coordination of the metabolic network in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2006 Oct;142(2):762-74. Epub 2006 Aug 18. [PMID: 16920875]
- Zakharkin SO, Kim K, Mehta T, Chen L, Barnes S, Scheirer KE, Parrish RS, Allison DB, Page GP. Sources of variation in Affymetrix microarray experiments. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005 Aug 29;6:214. [PMID: 16124883]
- Trivedi P, Edwards JW, Wang J, Gadbury GL, Srinivasasainagendra V, Zakharkin SO, Kim K, Mehta T, Brand JP, Patki A, Page GP, Allison DB. HDBStat!: a platform-independent software suite for statistical analysis of high dimensional biology data. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005 Apr 6;6:86. [PMID: 15813968]
- Mehta T, Tanik M, Allison DB. Towards sound epistemological foundations of statistical methods for high-dimensional biology. Nat Genet. 2004 Sep;36(9):943-7. [PMID: 15340433]
Acknowledgement and Disclaimer
The trainee's projects are supported by the UAB Doctoral Training Grant in Obesity and Nutrition Research funded by the Kraft Foods Corporation. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the Kraft Foods Corporation.
Years: 2011 - 2013 (Predoctoral Fellow)
Mentor: David B. Allison, Ph.D.
Current Position: Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Services Administration and an associate scientist with the Nutrition Obesity Research Center