||Department of Biostatistics
Ryals Public Health Building, 217B
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294
I currently investigate the genetic pathways (including gene regulation) to obesity-related phenotypes. This includes BMI, insulin resistance and lipoprotein subfraction distribution. I would like to expand this to look at the psychological and environmental mediation of these pathways.
For my doctoral thesis, I trained in quantitative genetic analysis and developed a biomarkers, or endophenotypes, to help gene hunting studies for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). A number of these have resulted in successful gene associations, for example the NET1 gene with mechanically assessed activity level and CDH13 with reaction time variability.
For my postdoctoral studies, I extended by quantitative genetic training with molecular genetic training, learning to run genome-wide association analysis, candidate gene association studies and gene-gene interaction analysis. I continued to develop new biomarkers / traits by being creating the first phenotype that combined information on the diameters of three fractions of lipoprotein into a single trait in the GOLDN dataset (PI: D. Arnett). This trait shows strong associations with insulin resistance and I am now examining its genetic underpinning. I would like to extend this to nutrigenomics of lipoprotein diameters in the near future.
During this time, I continued my training by following the full T32 training grant program offered by Dr. David Allison at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. This included meeting with visiting scholars, seminars, journal clubs and completing graduate-level courses in molecular genetics and epidemiology. I have won numerous awards for my work in phenotype development, both in psychiatry and insulin resistance.
- Frazier-Wood A.C., Ordovas, J.M, Hixson, J.E., Borecki, I.B., Arnett, D.K (in press) The PPARA gene is associated with triglyceride, lipoprotein, and inflammation marker response to fenofibrate intervention: The GOLDN Study The Pharmacogenomics Journal
- Frazier-Wood, A.C., Kabagambe, E.K., Borecki, I.E., Tiwari, H.K., Ordovas, J., & Arnett, D. K., (2012) Preliminary evidence for an association between LRP-1 genotype and body mass index in humans, which is not modified by an interaction with ApoE genotype. PloS ONE 7(2):e30732
- Cheung, H.M., Wood A.C., Paloyelis, Y., Arias-Vasquez, A., Buitelaar, J.K., Franke, B., Miranda, A., Rommelse, N.N.J., Sergeant, J.A., Sonuga-Barke, E.J., Faraone, S.V., Asherson, P.A.,& Kuntsi, J (2012) ADHD, reading difficulties and IQ show shared and non-shared familial influences in a family study of combined type ADHD . Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines [Epub ahead of print]
- Frazier-Wood, A.C. ,Bralten, J., Arias-Vasquez, A., Luman M., Oosterlaan J., Sergeant, J., Buitelaar J., Franke, B., Kuntsi, J., Rommelse, N,N, (2012) Neuropsychological intra-individual variability explains unique genetic variance of ADHD and shows suggestive linkage to chromosomes 12,13 and 15 (2012) American Journal of Medical Genetics:159 B(2):131-40 [PMID: 22223442]
- Frazier-Wood, A.C., Aslibekyan, S., Straka, R.J., Borecki, I. B., Tiwari, H.K., Tsai, M.Y. Hopkins, P.N., Ordovas, J.M. Arnett, D.K. Genome-wide association study of lipoprotein diameter response to fenofibrate.Pharmacogenetics and Genomics; manuscript under review
- Frazier-Wood, A.C., Garvey, W.T., Pourfarzib, R., Opportunities for Using Lipoprotein Subclass Concentration and Size Profiles by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy For Assessing Insulin Resistance and Diabetes Prediction International Journal of the Metabolic Syndrome, under review
- Frazier-Wood, A.C, Manichaikul A., Aslibekyan, S., Borecki, I.B., Goff, D.C., Hopkins, P.M., Lai, C.M., Ordovas , J.M., Post, W.S., Rich, S.S., Sale, M.M., Szklo, M., Siscovick, D., Straka, R.J., Tiwari, H.K., Tsai, M.Y., Rotter, J.I., Arnett, D.K. Genetic variants associated with VLDL, LDL and HDL particle size differ with race/ethnicity.Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics; manuscript under review
- Loop, M.S., Wood, A.C., Thomas, A.S., Dhurandhar, E.J., Shikany, J.M., Gadbury, G.L., and Allison, D.B. Submitted for Your Consideration: Potential Advantages of a Novel Clinical Trial Design and Initial Patient Reaction. PloS ONE; revised manuscript under review
- Pinto, R., Rijsdijk, F., Wood, A.C., Plomin, R., Asherson, P & Kuntsi, J Bigger families fare better: rater bias in parental ratings on ADHD symptoms Behavior Genetics; revised manuscript under review
- Kunsti, J., Pinto, R., Ilott, N., Price, T.S., van der Meere, J.J., Wood, A.C. & Asherson, P. The separation of ADHD inattention and hyperactivity-impulsivity symptoms: specific pathways from genes to cognitive impairments and symptoms. Archives of General Psychiatry; revised manuscript under review
- Banaschewski, T., Jennen-Steinmetz, C., Kunsti, J., Sergeant, J. A., Brandeis, D., Buitelaar, J.K., Poutska, L., Schlotz, W., Sonuga-Barke, E.J., Frazier-Wood, A.C., Albrecht, B., Andreou, P., Uebel, H., Marco, R., van der Meere, J.J., Gill, M., Manor, I., Miranda, A., Mulas, F., Oades, R.D., Roeyers, H., Rothenberger, A., Steinhausen, H., Faraone, S.V., & Asherson, P., Neuropsychological correlates of emotional lability in children with ADHD. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines; revised manuscript under review
Invited book chapter (under review)
- Frazier-Wood, A.C., Rommel, A & Kuntsi, J., Quantitative Genetic Studies on ADHD
- Frazier-Wood, A.C., Glasser, S., Garvey, W.T., Kabagambe, E.K., Borecki, I.E., Tiwari, H.K., Tsai, M., Hopkins, P., Ordovas, J., & Arnett, D. K., (2011) A clustering analysis of lipoprotein diameters in the metabolic syndrome. Lipids in Health and Disease 10(1):237
- Wood, A.C., Glasser, S., Garvey, W.T., Kabagambe, E.K., Borecki, I.E., Tiwari, H.K., Tsai, M., Hopkins, P., Ordovas, J., & Arnett, D. K., (2011) Lipoprotein Lipase S447V polymorphism associates with VLDL, LDL and HDL diameter clustering. Lipids in Health and Disease 10(1): 143
- Wood, A.C., Kabagambe, E.K. Borecki, I.B., Tiwari, H.K., & Arnett, D.K. (2011) Dietary carbohydrate modifies the association between dietary saturated fat intake and fasting concentrations of plasma triglycerides and very low density cholesterol Lipid Insights 4 7-15
- Wood, A.C., Rijsdijk, F., Asherson, P., & Kunsti J. (2011) Inferring causation from cross-sectional data: the example of ADHD and novelty seeking behaviors Frontiers in Genetics 2:6
- Paloyelis, Y., Rijsdijk, F., Wood, A.C., Asherson, P. & Kuntsi, K., (2010) The aetiology of the covariance between reading difficulties and DSM-IV ADHD symptom dimensions of inattention and hyperactivity-impulsivity. Jnl Abnormal Child Psych 38(8) 1083-95
- Kuntsi, J., Wood, A.C., Rijsdijk, F., Andreou, P., Christiansen, H., Gabriels, I., Marco, R., Meidad, S., Mueller, U., Mulligan, A., Uebel, H., van der Meere, J.J., Banaschewski, T., Gill, M., Manor, I., Miranda, A., Mulas, F., Oades, R., Roeyers, H., Rothenberger, A., Steinhausen H.C., Faraone, S., Asherson, P., (2010) The independent vs. shared etiology of cognitive process associated with ADHD: multivariate model fitting to large samples of ADHD and control sibling pairs. Arch Gen Psychiat 40(6) 1027-1037
- Wood, A.C., & Neale, M., C (2010) Twin studies and molecular genetics. Endophenotypes integrate quantitative and molecular genetic analysis in ADHD research. JAACAP 49:9 874-883 [PMID: 20732624]
- Wood, A.C., Rijsdijk, F., Johnson, K., Andreou, P., Albrecht, B., Arias-Vasquez, A., Buitelaar, J.K., Mcloughlin, G., Rommelse, N.N.J., Sergeant, J.A., Sonuga-Barke, E.J.S., Uebel, H., van der Meere, J.J. Banaschewski, B., Gill, M., Manor, I., Miranda, A., Mulas, F., Oades, R.D., Roeyers, H., Rothenberger, A., Steinhausen, H.C., Faraone, S.V., Asherson P. & Kuntsi, K., (2010) The relationship between ADHD and key cognitive phenotypes is not mediated by shared familial effects with IQ. Psych Med ;41(4):861-71 [PMID: 20522277]
- Wood, A.C., Buitelaar, J., Rijsdijk, F., Asherson, P, & Kuntsi, J (2010) Rethinking shared environment as a source of variance underlying attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder symptoms: Comment on Burt (2009). Psychol Bulletin 36 (3) 331-40 [PMID: 20438137]
- llott, N., Saudino K.J., Wood, A.C., Asherson, P. (2010) A genetic study of ADHD and activity level in infancy. Genes, Brain and Behavior 9 (3) 296-304
- Wood, A.C.., Rijsdijk, F., Van De Meere, J.J., Asherson , P & Kuntsi J., (2009) Separation of genetic influences on ADHD symptoms and reaction time performance from those on IQ. Psychol Med. I1 1-11 [PMID: 19751540] [PMCID: PMC2865446]
- Wood, A.C. Asherson, P., Rijsdijk, F., & Kuntsi, J., (2009) Is overactivity a core feature in ADHD? Familial and ROC-curve analysis of mechanically-assessed activity level. JAACAP. 48:10 1023-1030 [PMID: 19701105] [DOI:10.1097/CHI.0b013e3181b54612]
- lott, N., Saudino K.J., Wood, A.C., Asherson, P., (2009) A genetic study of ADHD and activity level in infancy. Genes, Brain and Behavior 9 (3) 296-304 [PMID: 20039948]
- Wood, A.C., Rijsdijk, F., Asherson, P., & Kunsti J., (2009) Hyperactive-impulsive symptom scores and oppositional behaviours reflect alternate manifestations of a single liability Behav. Genet. 39 (5) 447 - 460 [PMID: 19633943]
- Kuntsi, J., Wood, A.C, Van Der Meere, J., & Asherson, P., (2009) Why cognitive performance in ADHD may not reveal true potential: Findings from a large population-based sample. JINS. 15, 570-9. [PMID: 19573275] [DOI: 10.1017/S135561770909081X]
- Wood, A.C., Kuntsi, J., Asherson, P., & Saudino, K., (2008) Actigraph data are reliable, with functional reliability increasing with aggregation. Behav Res Methods 40(3) 873-8. [PMID: 18697683]
- Wood, A.C. Rijsdijk, F., Saudino, K., Asherson, P., & Kuntsi, J., (2008) High heritability for a composite index of children’s activity level measures. Behav Genet 38 (3) 266-76. [PMID: 18297388] [DOI: 10.1007/s10519-008-9196-1]
- Wood, A.C., Saudino, K., Rogers, H., Asherson, P., & Kuntsi, J., (2007) Genetic Influences on Mechanically-Assessed Activity Level in Children. J Child Psychol Psych. 48(7) 695-702. [PMID: 17593150]
Years: 2009 - 2012
Mentor(s): Donna Arnett, Ph.D. and David B. Allison, Ph.D.
Current Position: Assistant Professor at UDSA Children's Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine
In June, 2012 completed her training with us and moved on to a position as Assistant Professor at the Baylor College of Medicine. She can be contacted at LekkiWood@Gmail.com.